Incredible benefits of flaxseeds and why you must have them daily
Flaxseed or also as it is known in India is one of the oldest crops and they were first cultivated in Babylon in 3000 BC. It is a vegetarian source of Omega 3 fatty acids have gained a lot of popularity. Brown and golden are its two varieties, both of which contain an almost similar nutritional value.They are the weight loss friendly seed, loaded with fiber. It is a seed that is packed with a lot of beauty and health benefits!
What is flaxseed?
Flaxseeds are tiny, brown or golden-colored seeds also known as linseed. It has become part of the traditional cuisines of Asia, America, and Africa because of its various health benefits.
Flaxseeds Nutrition Facts
According to several types of research, one tablespoon of whole/unground flaxseed contains about:
Protein: 1.6 grams
Carbs: 2 grams
Phosphorus: 4% of the RDI
Potassium: 2% of the RDI
Omega-3 fatty acids: 1,597 mg
Fiber: 2 grams
Total fat: 3 grams
Calcium: 2% of the RDI
Iron: 2% of the RDI
Magnesium: 7% of the RDI
Health benefits of flaxseed:
Prevents Cardiovascular Diseases
They are loaded with amino and omega 3 fatty acids can help in lowering high blood pressure. Including flaxseeds in your daily diet can help in preventing hardening of the arteries.
They are packed with omega-3 fatty acids which makes it a key nutrient for fighting inflammation in the body.
Taking flaxseeds regularly improves the blood sugar of people suffering from diabetes.
Flaxseeds are loaded with phytochemicals which act as antioxidants and they are the main agent in preventing and treating cancer.
Reduces Ovarian Dysfunction
In menstruating women, regular consumption of flaxseeds works in the same way as hormonal replacement therapy for menopausal symptoms like mood disturbances and vaginal dryness.
Lignans present in flaxseed boost the immune system in the body and prevent inflammatory diseases.
Nourishes Your Hair
Omega-3 fatty acids present in flaxseeds are essential for maintaining healthy hair.
Soothes The Scalp
Consuming flaxseeds daily can prevent issues like hair loss, dandruff and scalp eczema (a condition that causes scaly patches and red skin on scalp).
Provides A Healthier Skin
They are known for its moisturizing and hydrating properties and helps in getting rid off uneven skin tone.
Interesting facts about flaxseeds:
– Flaxseeds will make you poop.
– They are indigestible unless grounded.
– Always use roasted or powdered flaxseeds.
How to include flaxseeds in your daily diet?
Flaxseeds can be used in a number of ways in different dishes:
– Mix in your yogurt for that crunch.
– Make chutneys or dips by grinding with raw mangoes and ginger or with garlic, salt, and a little water. Use only roasted flax seeds for chutneys.
– You can add powdered flaxseeds while baking bread or making chapati.
– If you are making salted oatmeal, add a spoonful of roasted flax seeds. You can also use it in powdered form.
– Smoothies and shakes can be added with a spoon of roasted, ground flaxseeds.
– You can add them in granola bars
– Sprinkle it in your breakfast cereal
How to store flaxseeds:
– Reduce its exposure to light, heat, and air.
– Keep your flaxseeds in an air-tight container.
– If you want to store it for the longer period of time, refrigerate it.
Side effects of flaxseeds:
Flaxseeds might react in some people if they are allergic to it. Otherwise, they are safe for consumption.
1362total visits,2visits today